Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Farmer's Festival at St. Norbert's Farmer's Market

What a day!  There was a wonderful celebration of making great things from local producers today at St. Norbert's Farmer's Market.  For my first cooking demonstration, I featured dry rubs and a few tips for great steaks.  The second cooking demonstration, I prepared Fresh Kimchi.  So addictive!

The Napa Cabbage, onion and garlic,  came from Heart's Acre Farm, the carrot from Paseschnikoff Gardens, The garlic chives, from Fertile Farms.  I found the remaining ingredients at Arirang Trading Company, on 1799 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg.

I love the recipes found on Maangchi and I found this fresh kimchi recipe, aka,  Baechu-geotjeori.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/baechu-geotjeori

One excellent question was, do I have to use shellfish or fish?  This recipe calls for fermented anchovy paste.  I used fermented shrimp paste.  I found that a good way to get the briny flavour is by using Black Vinegar.  The dish will be vegan then as well.


No comments: