Wednesday, March 04, 2009
By Request - Bitter Gourd Vattichularthiathu - AKA Karela
(photo by 3Quarks Daily article)
Okay, Malayalam is a really difficult language but the food is phenomenal.
Bitter Gourd is also known as Karela. In Ayurvedic medicine, it is held to have blood sugar regulating properties.
1/2 kg bitter gourd
1 tsp chili powder (cayenne)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup onion, thin long slices
Salt - to taste
1/2 cup oil
1. Slit open the bitter gourd, remove the seeds and cut into thin round slices.
2. Mix it with chili powder, turmeric and salt.
3. Par cook the bitter gourd slices in 1/2 cup briskly boiling water.
4. Fry the onion pieces in hot oil until crisp and golden brown in colour. Lift out and drain.
5. Add a little more oil if required and fry the bitter gourd. When crisp, lift it out and drain.
6. Mix the onion and bitter gourd together and serve.